The .rdlc is the format of a report file used by the Microsoft reporting system. Mainly Microsoft Visual Studio creates this rdlc file extension that contain report definitions. This article describes about the basic over view of RDLC file and the difference between .rdl and .rdlc files. Summary of the article:
- What is RDLC?
- .rdl VS .rdlc files
- How to Add a rdlc Report in a project?
- How to Display the rdlc Report in a ReportViewer Control in Application?
What is RDLC?
Full meaning of RDLC is Report Definition Language Client-side. It is the extension of report file. It is used to create report s using Microsoft reporting technology. These files are created by the Visual Studio 2005 version of Report Designer. RDLC reports can be executed directly by the ReportViewer control in client side.
.rdl VS .rdlc files
The difference between .rdl and .rdlc files are given bellow:
- RDL files are created by the SQL Server 2005 version of Report Designer
- It is used in SQL Server Reporting Services
- It is remote report
- Need a Reporting Services instance
- RDLC files are created by the Visual Studio 2005 version of Report Designer
- It is used in Visual Studio
- It is local report
- No need a Reporting Services instance
How to Add a rdlc Report in a project?
The steps to add a new rdlc file in a project is given bellow:
- In the Project or Web Site menu or write click on Solution Explorer, select Add New Item. Add New Item dialog box will be open
- From the Installed Templates pane select Visual Basic or Visual C#
- From the Templates pane select Report or Report Wizard
- If you select Report a blank .rdlc file will be added to the project
- If you select Report Wizard the Report Wizard will be started to guide you through the steps in creating a report
How to Display the rdlc Report in a ReportViewer Control in Application?
The steps to display the .rdlc report in a ReportViewer control are given bellow:
- In Microsoft Visual Studio open the application project or Web site
- Select the form or page that will display the report
- From the Toolbox add a ReportViewer control to the Web page or form
- Set the Size and position of the control on the page or form
- In the ReportViewer Tasks Smart tags panel select an existing .rdlc file in the Choose Report drop-down list Or click Design a new report to create a new report using the Report Wizard
- To preview the report build or deploy the application and browse that page or form
The RDLC can be a good option to full fill our reporting purpose. That’s all about rdlc report.