Code optimization is the vital factor for any applications. Its importance is high. As a good professional programmer we should consider about that. This article describes how can we optimize a program? or code optimization techniques. Summary of the article:
- What is Code Optimization?
- Optimization of C# Code
What is Code Optimization?
In computing technology, optimization is the process of modifying a system to improve its performance or efficiency. The system can be a single computer program, a collection of computers or internet. Good code optimization can makes the code to run faster and use fewer hardware resources. Even it can make easier to debug and maintain.
In computer programming, code optimization is done by transforming the code to improve its performance (like code execution time, code size, minimum resources utilization). This transformation can be made either at a high level or at a low level.
The main point of code optimization is to improve the code. There are two parts:
- Make the program faster (in terms of execution times or steps)
- Make the program smaller (in terms of memory)
Optimization of C# Code
Code optimization is an important aspect of writing an efficient C# program. The following tips will helps to increase the speed and efficiency of C# code and application:
- We should follow standard naming convention
- The variables and methods/functions name should be relevant and small as far as possible
- Use X++ instead of X=X+1. Both returns the same result but X++ use fewer characters
- Remove codes and variables whose are not used
- If possible remove white spaces (superfluous spaces, new lines, tabs, and comments etc). It increases the code sizes
- Use List<> instead of ArrayList. Because List<> is less cost effective
- Use ‘for’ Loop instead of ‘for-each’ Loop
In any application we need to consider also SQL (Structured Query Language) query optimization. That’s all about code optimization in C#.
5 thoughts on “C# Code Optimization Tips”
thanks for article.its good n helpful
Thanks for your nice article. This is really a good article.