Lot of software’s are available to handle the changes of computer files including documents and computer programs or source codes to make sure the system runs smoothly and efficiently. This software or system which keeps tracks on the changes to a file or multiple files is called “version control”. At present the software development becomes quite risky without a proper version control system. Git is the widely used version control system. GitHub is an online hosting service based on Git repositories. This article explains the difference between Git and GitHub
Git Vs GitHub
The difference between Git and GitHub is given bellow:
- It is a distributed version control system which tracks changes to source code.
- It is a command line tool
- It provides a desktop interface named Git Gui.
- It has no user management feature.
- Its competitors are Mercurial, Subversion, IBM, Rational team Concert, ClearCase etc.
- It is a web-based hosting service for Git repository.
- It is administrated through the web.
- It provides a desktop interface named GitHub Desktop
- It has built-in user management feature.
- Its competitors are GitLab, GitBucket etc.