The characteristics of XML and HTML files are different. XML was developed to describe data and HTML was developed to display data. This article describes a comparison between HTML and XML. The difference between XML and HTML is given bellow:
- Its full meaning is Hyper Text Markup Language.
- It is a markup language and written in predefined tags.
- Its primary purpose is to display data.
- Developers can’t write customize tags.
- It is invented in 1990.
- It is not case sensitive.
- It is static.
- It is a presentation type language.
- It can’t preserve white space.
- It is not strict if the user does not use the closing tags.
- Its full meaning is Extensible Markup Language.
- It is a markup language and written in customize tags.
- Its’ primary purpose is to transport and store data.
- Developers can write customize tags.
- It is invented in 1996.
- It is case sensitive.
- It is dynamic.
- It is neither a programming language not a presentation language. We can call it meta-language or a language that can be used to define other languages.
- It can preserves white space.
- It is strict and we need to close each tag that has been used.
That’s all about HTML VS XML.